Are you preparing to have a new website created for your business or other project?
The following are helpful questions and guidelines to prepare for working with a website developer or designer on a website project. Some projects might be more complex, or more simple, but the following are the typical minimum details to consider for a successful website.
Background & Overview
- Tell me about your business.
- Do you currently have a website?
- What is the domain name (Website URL)?
- How would you briefly define your product or service offering?
- What problem do you solve for your customers?
- Describe your primary target audience (i.e. who are your clients?).
- Where is your business located?
- List all locations, if applicable.
- Who are your direct competitors?
- List their website domain names. if applicable.
- What elements of these companies and/or their online activity would you like to model after in your redesign?
- What makes you different?
- What is your number one objective in this project?
- Do you have any other objectives? Can you rank them by priority?
- Is there anything about your existing website that doesn’t work well?
- Is there anything about your existing website that does work well?
- Is there anything else you would like us to know about your business and this project?
- Describe any functionality included in the scope of this project.
- Including any wireframes, outline, etc. (or send as a separate document)
- What is your desired date for go-live?
- Note: Timeline for project completion depends largely on timely receipt of assets/content necessary for the project.
Content/Assets to Assemble
Where applicable. Files can be sent via email, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
- Project scope (depending on the specific project details and budget, we can work with you to create the project scope, wireframes, etc.)
- High resolution logo
- Brand or Style guide (i.e. color scheme, fonts, imagery, etc)
- Website page hierarchy (sitemap)
- Content for pages, articles, blog posts, etc.
- Videos or other Media
- Other marketing collateral
Provide developer access to:
- Google Analytics
- If you don’t currently have an account, we can create one for you. (How to share access?)
- Domain registrar
- This would be the provider you registered your website domain name with. For example: Godaddy.com is a common domain registrar.
- Current website hosting account
- Cpanel and/or FTP access, if applicable.
Providing sufficient information about your business and project goals helps to set proper expectations and will allow your website developer/designer to provide you with the results you are looking for.